The students of class XII-C (Humanities) have visited the Bird Sanctuary located at Sheikha Lake near Jalali town on Aligarh-Gangiri Road. This lake is one of the favourite nesting places for migratory birds in the plains of the river Ganga. Every year innumerable number of birds from temperate regions arrives here for wintering purpose. On their arrival, a number of visitors, bird watchers, researchers and school students visit this lake to experience its natural beauty lake and biodiversity. This Lake has been declared as a National Bird Sanctuary by the government in 2018.
Protection and Conservation are the two principles of the Environmental Policy of the DPS, Aligarh. With this concern a field based observational study was conducted on 04.01.2020 (Saturday) as a part of Geography Practical exercise which was very much fruitful. During this visit the following admiring activities were conducted
- Nature walk
- Observation of natural vegetation
- Wildlife: wild beasts (nilgai), mongoose, monkeys, tortoise etc.
- View the aquatic organisms such as fishes, mollusks, weeds, water lily etc.
- Watching the chirping birds such as storks, graylag goose, pintails, pochards, spoonbills, black drango, saras crane etc.
- Silt clearance in the Upper-Ganga canal.
- Degradation of agricultural land in urban fringe areas.
- Demonstration of Rabi season crops such as wheat, mustard, potato and vegetables.
- Site of domestic airport of Aligarh at Dhanipur.
The visit was very much fruitful and enjoyed by the students. As a result students became aware about the importance of conservation of natural environment for sustainable development of resources like water, forest, wildlife and soils.