BEST PRACTICES IN ART INTEGRATION – MATH
Date :- 23rd Nov, 2020
Time :- 2:15 p.m – 5:00 p.m
Platform :- ZOOM
A webinar based on Best Practices in Art Integration -Math was conducted by The DPSS-HRDC Online Training Session. The session was taken by different teachers from various DPS. Arts integration provides an engaging and effective way to achieve standards in both math/geometry and visual arts. Visual representations greatly help children’s understanding of quantity, shape, measures, and a host of other mathematical concepts.
The teachers used to explain the square properties using songs, rhyme, charts. Songs and chants not only aid the children’s core music skills, but they stick in the memory and can help children remember maths facts. The times tables are often taught in this way, we can change the words to any song to incorporate other maths facts, or methods of solving maths problems. Singing also helps build a group dynamic. Ms. Aafia Mehmood teacher from DPS Dhuri touched the topic of Area and Perimeter using treasure hunt and a song to remember Perimeter. Topic Congruence of shapes was explained by Vaibhav Prakash Sharma from DPS Etah. Mandala Art using Geometry was also done. Linear equations using curve stitching was done. Angle sum property as explained through PPT. Mondrian Fraction was also one. Patterns using various geometrical shapes were done. Everyday protractor which we already have in our school was shown.
INTERDISCIPLINARY LEARNING AND INTEGRATING MUSIC AND MOVEMENT IN THE TEACHING PROCESS
Date : 10th Nov, 2020
Resource Person : Ms. Anjli Mata( Honorary member of Trinity College)
Ms. Priya Chaturvedi(Academic Consultant in Music for Trinity College London)
Host :- DPSS-HRDC
Member Attended:-Neeru Gupta
Time:-3:00 p.m- 5:00p.m
The workshop conducted by DPSS-HRDC on “Integrating Music and Movement in the Teaching Process” was informative and can be a great way to teach content. Music not only strengthens emotional and cognitive development, but also allows a new outlet of expression and a new means of learning through listening and making sound. Music is one tool to engage each student and provide a pathway for connections and deeper understanding. Music and Movement help to develop social skills, develops creativity and imagination. For example if we are teaching topic Festival Diwali, Children can learn about art(Rangoli), mythology, geography(location of birth place of Shri ram on the Map), EVS (importance of Eco friendly Diwali), performing arts (traditional dances and folk songs) through interlinked activities.
INTEGRATING ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION IN THE CURRICULUM
Date : 16th Oct, 2020
Resource Person : Ms. Neha Raghav (WWF – India)
- To create awareness for the environment among the school childen.
- To connect students with the nature.
- To spark curiosity in children about the nature.
- To make them environment conscious citizens.
- To build a sustainable school.
Minutes of the Webinar :–
- Session was started with discussions on the various threats to the environment.
- The speaker talked about the various plans and strategies for creating maximum awareness among children and their participation in preserving the environment.
- She also gave a brief introduction of the work strategy and achievements of WWF in regard to environmental protection.
- She took two online surveys to know about the views of the participants regarding environment consciousness.
- Discussion was done on ‘The Living Planet Report 2020’,- The level of the damage and also the measures we can take to restore nature.
- She also talked about the expectations from the future citizens and how to sensitize students on environmental issues.
- Emphasis was given on the important role of an educator towards a better world by 2030.
- The speaker also laid stress on the areas for environmental education infusion in schools for a sustainable future. Also discussed the activities which can be done in the schools with a view of children carrying the message to the whole community.
The speaker concluded by suggesting plans and activities to build a sustainable school. She suggested a few changes in the school buildings and premises as well as suggested a number of activities where the teachers as environment educator can sensitize the students on environmental issues.